Early voting will be available for the General Election from October 24 through November 1. For more information, including where to vote, go to the Dutchess County Voting Resource Website.
The New York State Board of Elections has created an absentee ballot web portal that allows all registered voters to apply for an absentee ballot due to Cover-19. The web portal is live at https://www.elections.ny.gov/VotingAbsentee.html..
Qualifications to Vote by Absentee Ballot:
- Absent from your county or, if a resident of New York City absent from the five boroughs, on Election Day.
- Unable to appear at the polls due to temporary or permanent illness or disability (temporary illness includes being unable to appear due to risk of contracting or spreading a communicable disease like COVID-19).
- Unable to appear because you are the primary care giver of one or more individuals who are ill or physically disabled.
- A resident or patient of a Veterans Health Administration Hospital.
- Detained in jail awaiting Grand Jury action or confined in prison after conviction for an offense other than a felony.
When is it due?
You must apply online, postmark, email or fax a completed application or letter request for the General Election Absentee ballot no later than 7 days (October 27, 2020) before the election. You may apply in-person up to the day before the election (November 2, 2020). You may file an application at any time before the deadlines, but ballots will be mailed out beginning on or about September 18, 2020. (PLEASE BE AWARE THAT DESPITE THE ABOVE DEADLINES THE POST OFFICE HAS ADVISED THAT THEY CANNOT GUARANTEE TIMELY DELIVERY OF BALLOTS APPLIED FOR LESS THAN 15 DAYS BEFORE AN ELECTION.)
How to Cast an Absentee Ballot
- Once your receive the ballot, mark the ballot according to your choices for each office following the instructions on the ballot
- Once you have completed marking your ballot fold it up and place it in the Security Envelope. (This envelope will have a place for your signature.)
- Sign and date the outside of the Security Envelope.
- Seal the Security Envelope.
- Place the Security Envelope in the Return Envelope. (This envelope will have the return address of your county Board of Elections on the outside and should have a logo that reads, “Official Election Mail”)
- Seal the Return Envelope.
- You may return the ballot in any of the following ways:
- Put it in the mail ensuring it receives a postmark no later than November 3rd.
- Bringing it to the County Board of Elections Office no later than November 3rd by 9pm.
- Bringing it to an early voting poll site between October 24th and November 1st
- Bringing it to a poll site on November 3rd by 9pm.
For more information, go to the Absentee Ballot Portal: https://www.elections.ny.gov/VotingAbsentee.html
Register to Vote
You can now Register to Vote Online in New York State. In addition, voter registration forms are available at the Town Clerk's Office. They can also be downloaded in English (PDF) or Spanish (PDF). The registration form must be completed and mailed to the Dutchess County Board of Elections.
- Dutchess County Board of Elections
47 Cannon Street
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
- Phone: 845-486-2473
- Fax: 845-486-2483